Delivering a Consistent and Robust Multi-Tier Environment
Pete Gain, Enterprise Technology Specialist, SAS UK
SAS is the leader in business analytics software and services, and the largest independent vendor in the business intelligence market. Through innovative solutions, SAS helps customers improve performance and deliver value by making better decisions faster. SAS solutions are used at more than 45,000 sites in over 100 countries – including 91 of the top 100 FORTUNE Global 500® companies – to develop more profitable relationships with customers and suppliers; to enable better decisions; and to move forward with confidence and clarity.
More than 11,000 SAS employees – in more than 50 countries and 400 SAS offices – provide local support for global implementations.
With increasing pressure to enhance the relationships with existing clients as well as obtaining new customers to grow market share, SAS had the following challenges:
- Constantly changing demand for different client and prospect configurations to truly demonstrate the power and breadth of the SAS portfolio of solutions.
- A requirement for consolidation as the existing environment was proving to be more and more resource intensive to manage.
To meet SAS's challenges the following solution was successfully delivered:
- Sizing, scoping, implementation and integration of a Virtualised multi-tier environment based around IBM.
- Utilisation of IBM pSeries technology as the platform of choice.
- Implementation of Mirco-partioning.
Results and Benefits of the Project
As a result of an extremely successful project, SAS received the following benefits:
- A consolidated environment for ease of management with room for growth.
- An "On-Demand" infrastructure to give SAS the business flexibility to really demonstrate why SAS is the business analytical leader.
- Consistent and robust multi-tier demonstration environment.
- The ability to deploy a known environment has saved man hours on both initial setup and wasted time in solving problems in environments on a discrete farm of different servers, delivering on the need for low overheads for setup.
- Substantial reduction in power and cooling costs.