High Performance Computing - the Greener Way!
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd (TREL) in the United Kingdom is one of the globalised corporate-level R&D organisations founded by Toshiba Corporation, Japan and consists of two laboratories, the Cambridge Research Laboratory (CRL) in Cambridge and the Telecommunications Research Laboratory (TRL) in Bristol.
TRL is now recognised worldwide as a centre of excellence for wireless systems and networks researching technologies for the next generation cellular, wireless local and personal area networks and reconfigurable device architectures. The laboratory currently consists of two groups: the Wireless Systems Group, researching communications technologies for high performance wireless and mobile networks, and the Reconfigurable Systems Group, which investigates the architectures, frameworks and systems to support such networks.
With a legacy infrastructure of old, inefficient and cumbersome servers the R&D environment at TREL had become outdated and business-restrictive. TREL required a complete overhaul of their R&D environment with "Green Computing" at the top of the agenda - drastically reducing the impact of power and heat on the environment with efficient use of space.
To meet TREL's challenges the following High Performance Computing solution was successfully delivered:
- Sizing, scoping, implementation and integration of a SUN HPC environment.
- Evaluation infrastructure for test and development.
- On-going support services.
Results and Benefits of the Project
- Efficient use of power and space.
- Substantial reduction in power and cooling costs.
- Drastically improved computing performance.
- Completed on-time and within budget.
- Quicker time-to-market for R&D.