In a list of top ten predictions for the data centre in 2018 published earlier this year, IDC talked a lot about standardisation. In the complex world of the enterprise data centre, standardised hardware, software and processes can bring huge benefits in terms of scalability,streamlined maintenance contracts, improved user knowledge resulting in less downtime (hopefully) due to human error and faster deployment of additional resources.
If you are looking to standardise your server infrastructure, Oracle SPARC servers offer a more scalable and highly reliable server architecture than leading popular alternatives for business-critical systems and applications. The high-end, mid-range and scale-out servers in the SPARC portfolio mean they are a great choice for enterprise workloads. SPARC servers also run Solaris, which provides a secure, robust and flexible foundation for public, private and hybrid cloud environments.
So, what are the main reasons for choosing SPARC systems with Oracle Solaris?
1. Namely because you can enjoy transformational performance and efficiency gains, particularly for Oracle databases and applications, which are greater than with any other commercial processor.
2. Because your hardware is optimised to match your applications and databases. SPARC servers have been engineered to optimise the entire technology stack so that you can your databases and applications securely, speedily and more cost effectively.
3. Prior investment in applications is not wasted. SPARC servers support your legacy applications, both on premise and in the cloud, so your existing investment is optimised and your data centre can be modernised with minimal disruption.
4. Analytics are crucial in today’s data driven enterprises, in fact, IDG’s CIO Tech Poll: Tech Priorities for 2018 found that 60% of CIOs surveyed planned to increase spending on analytics this year. SPARC servers have built in features to accelerate database queries and offer data decompression for better analytics performance.
5. Oracle developer tools are built to work better on SPARC servers and can help identify coding errors, improve security and get new applications to market faster.
6. Open source software is free, non-proprietary and incredibly flexible. What’s not to like about that? SPARC servers running Oracle Solaris allow developers to adopt open source and take advantage of new security and analytics capabilities on your own scripts.
7. & 8. Security is paramount in the enterprise data centre. SPARC servers offer built-in encryption and Software in Silicon and Solaris protect data at rest and on the move. In addition, SPARC servers and the Oracle Solaris offer protection for applications in memory, access controls, automated patching, and security compliance auditing.
9. To future proof your investment, Oracle offers a guarantee that they will delivery binary compatibility until 2034, at least.
10. SPARC servers and Oracle Solaris provide a clear path to the cloud, using the same technology on premise as in the cloud, and applications and databases can be migrated to the cloud at any time without modifications. Speedy and simple.
Ten very compelling reasons to choose SPARC and Oracle Solaris as your enterprise data centre infrastructure, now and in the future.